What you'll learn
In this introductory course you'll learn about the why, what and how of Motivation. You'll learn about the impact that motivation has on the way we think, the way we feel, and on the way we train as dancers. We'll look at the science and at ways of managing and optimising your motivational style.
Dr Peter Lovatt is an expert educator, dancer and Dance Psychologist. With over 25 years of university-level teaching and research experience, which extends from Cambridge University to the Royal Ballet School in London, he'll lead you through the course, from novice to expert.
Easy to follow lessons
The Movement in Practice Academy has created bite-size videos, pause and reflect activities, active learning exercises, recommended readings and quizzes, so that your learning is perfectly choreographed for CPD (CE/CPE) success, every step of the way.
To provide an introduction to the "why, what and how" of Motivation.
To provide a working definition of Motivation.
To provide an introduction to two major theories of Motivation and to place these within the context of dance and performance.
To provide an introduction to the role of Goals in the motivational process.
To look at several practical methods for managing Motivation.
- Welcome to Motivation for Dancers and Performers
- How to use this course
- Module Guide for Motivation for Dancers and Performers
- Meet your Instructor
- MiPA 104 vid 03 Lecture Aims
- Motivation: Definition & Context
- Download your Motivation Workbook
- Pause & Reflect Activity: What Motivates you to Dance?
- Dance Break - First Eight
- Theories & Experiences - Maslow
- Pause & Reflect Activity: Reflecting on your Hierarchy of Needs
- Theories & Experiences - Self-determination Theory
- Active Learning Exercise: Dance Motivation Questionnaire
- Dance Break - Second Eight
- Active Learning Exercise: Dance-SMART
- Dance Break - Third Eight
- Managing your Motivation: Part 1
- Managing your Motivation: Part 2
- Active Learning Exercise: Motivational Dance Imagery
- Additional Reading on Dance and Motivation
- Lecture Summary
- Dance Break - from the top & 5 6 7 8
- Student Evaluation